Wednesday 18 July 2007

Boulder, CO --> Grand Junction, CO

Ignore the posting dates, they are mildly screwed up - thanks blogger.
Day 8, Monday (Trust me, it's Monday. (tic))
Boulder, CO --> Grand Junction, CO


Heading out to the base of the mountains. Still some snow up there.



Eisenhower Tunnel. The first time I drove through this tunnel was in a Chevy Chevette in 1985. It was snowing hard when I exited the tunnel on the west side. I was a little worried when I realized I could not see any other cars on the road. They must have closed the road at some point, but I don't know how I got through.



Climbing up quickly.



Yikes, 10,475 feet! Need oxygen. Hands trembling...



I have been through here before, only as far as Vail, many years ago. It is still as great as I remember.



I love the Rockies. Massive and un-Earthly.






And we arrive at Grand Junction with a nice round number on the odo'. Btw, the discrepancy between the main od' and the trip is because there were 3.7 miles on the car when I picked it up at the factory in SC, and I reset it just as we pulled away to begin the roadtrip. And of course, the thousands place does not exist on the tripmeter.


Heading to the Colorado National Monument in the morning, then on to Cedar City, UT.
Cheers!
Jeff
-------

3 comments:

Unknown said...

10475 feet!
The turbos must help up there in the thin air.

Uncle Jeff said...

Yes, they do help, as you will see in the next post - coming momentarily. Because remember, it is still yesterday. Are you getting the RSS feed?

Unknown said...

I don't know how RSS works